The TYA sector is the most vulnerable area in the Korean arts industry in this period of the unprecedented Coronavirus pandemic.
ASSITEJ Korea has lead a survey on the damage cases to the TYA sector, caused by Covid-19.
The survey was conducted from 30 January, 2020 to 31 March, 2020, applying an online application (Google form). The members of ASSITEJ KOREA, Korea Puppet Association and the members of UNIMA KOREA have participated in this survey, and they account for 80% of professional artists and educators working in the field of TYA in Korea.
According to the survey results, up to 184 cancellations and up to 117 postponements of shows and educational programs have resulted in a loss of 1.75 million dollars (estimated) over the past two months due to the Covid-19 outbreak.
This survey result will be used as a resource to request the Korean government to support TYA sectors and all performing arts professionals in Korea
The result of the survey
– Estimated amount of loss: 2,143,613,800 KOR WON
– Number of organizations participating in survey responses: 83 organizations
– Number of cases participating in survey responses: Total 218 cases (including overlapping cases)
· ASSITEJ KOREA: Company member: 167 cases / Individual member: 22 cases
· Korea Puppet Association: 70 cases
· UNIMA KOREA: 50 cases
|Cause of Damage||Number of Case|
|Ticket Refund (*Full refund of tickets sold due to cancellation)||6|
|Art Education Cancellation||23|
|Art Education Postponement||30|
|Art Education Refund (*Full refund of tickets sold due to cancellation)||2|
|Waiting for the result||35|