Categories of Membership and Affiliation:
ASSITEJ International was created to facilitate the development of theatre in particular, and the performing arts in general, for children and young people at the highest artistic level. No theatre, organisation, or individual can be refused admittance to membership of ASSITEJ International based on age, gender identity, ethnicity, ability or disability, economic standing, sexual orientation, cultural identity, national origin, political conviction, or religious belief.
- National Centres representative of theatre and performing arts for children and young people in their own countries;
- Professional Networks of theatres, organisations, and persons who share a common artistic need or interest that serves the growth of theatre and performing arts for children and young people;
- Affiliates are public or private subjects (such as theatre companies, organisations, or individuals) dedicated to theatre and performing arts for children and young people and do not meet the requirements for membership as a National Centre or Professional Network.
Definitions of Members:
- National Centres are formally recognised networks of the companies, organisations, and persons working in that country in the field of theatre and performing arts for children and young people.
- Categories of membership within National Centres are:
- Professional theatre and performing arts companies or artists performing for children and young people;
- Non-professional theatre and performing arts companies or artists performing for children and young people;
- Organisations, institutions, associations, or persons actively engaged in the work of theatre and performing arts for children and young people, and;
- Supporting organisations, institutions, associations, or persons interested in theatre and performing arts for children and young people.
- Criteria for membership:
To qualify for membership of the Association, a National Centre must comprise of at least three (3) professional members [as per 2.1] or five (5) members with at least two (2) professional members [as per 2.1] and three (3) non-professional members [as per 2.2]. ASSITEJ International is sustained largely by the fees from its members. The proposed fee for full membership is 750 USD per year. Negotiated rates for low-income countries are available.
- Professional Networks are formally recognised networks of theatre and performing arts companies, organisations, and / or persons working in and supporting the field of theatre and performing arts for children and young people.
- Professional Networks can be formed on the basis of common interests or needs related to the work of theatre and performing arts for children and young people.
- Criteria for membership: To qualify for membership in the Association, a Professional Network should be a global network which includes members from at least seven (7) countries from two (2) or more continents.
Organisations or artists, living and operating in a particular country, may be members of more than one National Centre, provided they are first members of the National Centre in their country of residence, and they meet the requirements of membership of both organisations.
Organisations or artists operating in countries without National Centres and where there are no real possibilities to develop a National Centre in their country at this time can apply to join a geographically nearby National Centre that may accept them under a clear set of criteria to be determined by that National Centre.
ASSITEJ International Affiliates:
- ASSITEJ International Affiliates are theatre and performing arts companies, organisations, or persons dedicated to theatre and performing arts for young audiences who are not able to participate in ASSITEJ International membership.
- Criteria for Affiliation: Affiliation with ASSITEJ International is possible when there is not already a National Centre in the applicant’s own country. An application should be made to the Executive Committee to become an Affiliate. Affiliates are encouraged to make a donation to ASSITEJ International in order to support the work of the Association.
- ASSITEJ International Affiliates are encouraged to work to change their status to that of a voting member within two years of joining the Association. If this is not possible, they will automatically continue to retain Affiliate status without renewal of the application. ASSITEJ International will follow the progress of the Affiliate, and the Affiliate may at any time change their status to a voting member, if the conditions of membership are met.
Documents & Forms
You may view the full ASSITEJ International Policies & Protocols Handbook here or view the ‘Membership Policies and Protocols’ as well as the ‘Application for Membership’ for both ASSITEJ National Centres and Professional Networks below.
Advertising supports ASSITEJ International to achieve its mission as a non-profit association.