Have you seen excellent theatrical work for young audiences? The Curation Committee of the 2019 Latinx Theatre Commons (LTC) Theatre Young for Artists (TYA) Sin Fronteras Festival are looking for productions to be showcased at the Festival and Convening. At these performances, convening participants will experience the productions with young people from Austin schools, as well as with family audiences at UT Austin and the Emma S. Barrientos Mexican American Cultural Center. The committee will select a total of five productions from Latin America and the United States, and we are looking to our community to help us find these productions! The productions will be evaluated with the following criteria in mind:
- In the spirit of the core values of the LTC, the production must be radically inclusive, with regard to race, ethnicity, gender, sexuality, citizenship, age, and ability.
- Productions may be in Spanish, English, or both.
- Productions should be intended for audiences ranging from 0 to 18 years of age.
- Productions must engage Latinx and/or Latin American content, themes, or characters.
- Representation is important. Productions must include a majority Latinx cast and/or team, should be cast authentically, and created by a Latinx artist or company.
- The productions should treat young audiences as intelligent people, capable of asking questions and using their imaginations in creative ways.
- In general, we are seeking productions with adult performers in all roles, including the roles of children.
- A production’s presentation at the 2019 LTC TYA Sin Fronteras Festival and Convening should not be the production’s premiere performance before an audience. All productions should be well-rehearsed, fully prepared for the festival’s audiences, and have been performed elsewhere before performing at the Festival.
If you have seen work that embodies these values and criteria, we want to hear about it! Send all nominations to LTCSinFronteras@howlround.com by June 15, 2018 with the following information:
- Company Name & Website
- Production Name
- Contact & Contact Email (if you have it)
- Relevant links to the performance (Vimeo, YouTube, etc.)
- 100 words or less on when and where you encountered this production, why you feel it’s a piece that should be nominated, and how it aligns with the values above.
We look forward to hearing from you and reviewing your nominations!