An international symposium on European theatrical texts for children and young people
From 28 to 30 May 2015 the Toneelmakerij organizes and hosts one of the five Theatre Café Festivals in Europe. Following on from Theatre Cafés in York, Oslo and Berlin, the closing event of the Theatre Café Festival will be held in Amsterdam. For writers, translators, directors, dramaturges and other professionals from the field of young people’s theatre and beyond. The Theatre Café Festival is dedicated to spreading high quality repertoire for children and young people throughout Europe. English will be the main language throughout.
See below for a selection from the programme:
- Five stages readings of new European plays – a fresh style in a café setting.
- Q&As with the writers of the pieces being presented, Dutch playwrights and an international audience of theatre professionals.
- First showing: final presentation of four new texts from the European Writers Lab, the international development programme for rising writing talents.
- Three full productions of new Dutch plays with English surtitles.
- Boat cruise along the canals of Amsterdam with a programme focusing on notable Dutch dramatic writing initiatives.
- The grand writers’ supper.
The Danish April Festival is just around the corner. This year it will be held from the 19inci to the 26inci of April. As always, the festival will contain an enormous amount and variation of theatre for young audiences. There are 129 professional theatre companies presenting almost 200 different performances, amounting to nearly 800 shows.
The entire Danish TYA environment will be present this year in Frederikssund, as well as around 110 international theatre professionals from Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Burkina Faso, China, Colombia, Cuba, Egypt, Estonia, Finland, Ireland, Israel, Japan, Korea, Lithuania, Nepal, Norway, Pakistan, Slovenia, Sweden, Turkey, UK, and Uruguay.
If you can’t make is this year, then you should really start planning to join us in 2016. The April Festival gives all of us a unique opportunity to go on a theatre adventure. Remember April Festival has no curators – the freedom is yours to choose for yourselves and explore the unexpected!
Save the dates:
April Festival 2015, 19 – 26 April 2015.
April Festival 2016, 10 – 17 April 2016.