🌎 Online + Canada
⏰ Deadline: November 9th, 2020
Young People’s Theatre (YPT) is pleased to announce Beyond Borders – A New Play Creation Initiative for Young Audiences. YPT is finding an upside to the challenges of working remotely during the COVID-19 pandemic: expanding the geography of artists with whom we collaborate on new creations. Today, we can engage with artists based all across Canada… or internationally.
YPT regularly engages in a two-phase play development process called Exploration and Commission. Exploration provides support for the artist to investigate their new concept while also providing the theatre with a deeper understanding of the intentions behind the work. If there is excitement from both the artist and YPT at the end of the Exploration phase, the work proceeds to Commission, a phase during which both artist and theatre commit to a process that will see the eventual production of the play.
Beyond Borders will provide financial and artistic support to three playwrights/theatre creators to explore a new idea for a work for young audiences. This exploration will take place in 2021.
With Beyond Borders, YPT will strive to:
- Promote the creation of new plays for young audiences that overcome barriers of distance, cultural difference, artistic practice and lack of resources;
- Forge collaborations with artists new to the company; and
- Support the expansion of cultural diversity and gender equity within the sector.
YPT invites expressions of interest for Beyond Borders from across Canada and around the globe. The development process and schedule for each project will be tailored to its individual needs. The deadline to send in materials is November 9, 2020. Please include the following items:
- A cover letter,
- A proposal containing your idea/story for a new play and what you would like to do to explore it (max. one page),
- A writing sample (max. 10 pages), and
- A resume or list of related experience.
All materials should be sent in a single PDF file to firstname.lastname@example.org
For further inquiries, please contact Stephen Colella, Associate Artistic Director and Dramaturg at Young People’s Theatre: email@example.com.